What if you could change the way
you we all do business?
Wanderwell is a home for business owners and leaders that believe in building creative and value-driven businesses. Wanderwell's Director Kate Strathmann is an expert in the strategies and structures that build successful businesses that reach beyond the status quo.
My approach is inquisitive, and ultimately, in service of you, the visionary entrepreneur. My practice is guided by a strong social justice lens, and a belief that our businesses are microcosms for creating a more just and equitable world. I work hands on with leaders to turn visions and values into successful and sustainable operations.
How we can work together:
While I work with people in different ways, here are some of the types of questions that I help leaders work through:
- How to use your financial reports, to manage the present but grow into the future.
- How to plan for your first or next hire (while making sure you pay yourself well).
- How to build a supportive team structure and take good care of your people. What are the options for distributing profit or equity?
- How to create a business model that supports space, rest, and care and doesn't keep you (or your team) chained to a frenetic treadmill.
- How to balance success, while holding values that don't align with the maximize-profit-exploit-employees-hustle-and-grind toxicity of most business culture and advice.
- How to create a fair and equitable business partnership, and how do you continue working well together as your business and your needs evolve.
- How to balance creating access in your offerings and work (ie implement sliding scales/scholarships, and other accessible pricing models) while ensuring a sustainable business?
While I love to support visions and dreams, and am the go to for "does this even exist?" type of questions, all of my work is grounded in the concrete reality of your financials and the day-to-day workings and constraints of your business and the economy we live in.
Most clients end up spending somewhere between $1500 to $2,000 a month depending on the amount of support they need.
Most of my clients are well into their business journey (some for decades!), and have or are building teams (even if tiny ones!). Having worked with a broad swath of business types, I'm adept at recognizing patterns and implementing strategies that work across sectors.
I have particular affinity for working with folks who do not have traditional business backgrounds or skills and for whom traditional business structures and advice have long excluded-- including BIPOC and queer & LGBTQAA+ folks; artists and makers; and all kinds of self-described weirdos. I also frequently work with business partnerships and cooperative groups and am an adept facilitator when needed.
Get in touch to see if we're a good fit.
After you fill out this short form, I'll follow up to schedule a call to talk more about what you're looking for and how I might be able to help. By the end of that call, we'll have talked through your needs, ways we can work together, and whether we're the right fit.
If you had told me three years ago I would have an absolutely vital mentor in my "business consultant" I would have cringed hard, but I didn't know there was Wanderwell. Talking to Kate continues to help O&M build our enterprise with a conscience about working with each other and with our clients. Recommend!
Our business has taken on new growth this past year, which highlighted the need for change in many of our financial practices and long-term planning. Kate helped us wade through our finances and prioritize the aspects of our business that required attention. She took time to understand our business and our values, and we were impressed by the strategic and creative way she approached problem solving. With her help, we were able to complete a pricing audit and make informed and strategic changes that will help support the long-term viability of our business. We're excited to see the positive impact of these changes unfold over the coming months and years!
Why Work With Kate?
As the founder, director, and lead consultant & strategist at Wanderwell, I have spent over a decade working with hundreds of businesses to support their creativity and success.
Coming from a non-traditional path, I am known for combining truly outside-the-box thinking with financial and strategic expertise, and am the person other business leaders call when they are looking for equitable and justice-oriented strategies or solutions for business models that center humans and community.